Andrea is a contemporary artist and art instructor based in Whistler, B.C. Like most people who wind up living in this little mountain town, Andrea is a wild child. Constantly covered in paint, she spends most of her time either up exploring the mountains or down in the valley creating in her studio. Her work is characterized by bold colors, messy loose brush strokes and darkly playful imagery. Her work focuses on relationships and universal connectivity, often referencing the idiosyncrasies of romantic relationships.
She grew up surrounded by nature and animals in a small community outside of Toronto, Ontario where her weekends and holidays were spent on the family ranch near North Bay. Her grandfather, Ulrich was a hard working farmer and a self-taught artist. She was lucky to spend time with him camping, making maple syrup from the sugar bush, wood working with him in his shop, snowmobiling in northern Canada and watching him paint. As a child Andrea looked up to him and was inspired by his light hearted nature, his strong work ethic and most of all his paintings of anything from imaginary animals to beautiful Canadian Landscapes. She wanted to follow in his footsteps to become an artist herself.
Andrea graduated from the Ontario College of Art and Design in Toronto Ontario. She studied everything from metalsmithing to fibre arts, focusing on drawing and printmaking and graduated winning the Graduating Class Print Making Award. Having visited Whistler each summer in between semesters, Whistler became a home away from home. Andrea has created artwork from her studio in the colorful community for over fourteen years.
Selected Exhibitions, Showings and Group Exhibits
- 2018 – Art and Soul -Whistler Ski and Snowboard Festival-Whistler,
- 2017 State of the Art – Whistler Ski and Snowboard Festival-Whistler, B.C
- 2017 Bizzare Beautiful – Arts Whistler
- 2016 – Hot Art Wet City – Boobies and Wieners – Vancouver
- January 17 – February 18, 2015 – Solo Exhibition: “Love, Lust and Other Decent Stuff” Crystal Gallery, Whistler
- 2011 – 2015 Art Junction Gallery Whistler, B.C
- 2009 – 2014 July and August consecutively -ArtWalk -Whistler, B.C
- October 2012-Distorted Comfort : The Gallery and Beaumont Studio Gallery, Whistler and Vancouver
- 2012- 2015 Showcase; Whistler, B.C
- April 2012 – State of the Art: Telus Ski and Snowboard Festival-Whistler, B.C
- November 2011 – In Your Dreams: Scotia Creek Gallery – Whistler, B.C
- June 2011- LA VIOLENTA TORMENTA DE ARTE:BeaumontStudios –Vancouver, B.C
- March 2011 – Black and White Show: Burnt Stew – Whistler, B.C
- April 2011 – April 2014 consecutively – State of the Art: Telus Ski and Snowboard Festival-Whistler, B.C
- February 2010 – ArtWalk Live: 2010 Winter Olympics -Whistler, B.C
- September 2010 – Solo Exhibition: The Mix – Whistler, B.C
- August 2010 – Forest for the Trees: Chili Thom Gallery–Whistler, B.C
- May 2010 – 13 Skulls: The Fall Gallery-Vancouver, B.C
- October 2009- Lights Out: Transition Space Gallery-Whistler, B.C
- September 2009 – November 2010: Transition Space Gallery-Whistler, B.C
- February 2008- No Landscapes Allowed: Maxx Fish -Whistler, B.C
- April 2004 – End of year exhibition: OCAD -Toronto, Ont.
- November 2003 – Take That:X-Space Gallery-Toronto, Ont.
- Solo Exhibit- Whistler Painter Draws Crowds Pique Article
- The Art of Living 2015 Article
- Whistler.com Blog Spot – May 26th – Featured Live Artist Read the Blog
- Pique News Magazine – Cover Art: View Image
- Pique News Magazine – Featured Image: Imagine a World Without Art Read Article
- FAQ Magazine – Featured Artist – Winter 2011 FAQ Winter2010_70-71
- B.C Arts News – November, 2010 Article
- Whistler Question – Art in the Dark – October, 2009 Article
- The Pique News Magazine – Artists Showing in the Dark – October, 2009 Article
- Whistler Question – Transition Exhibit Evolves – September, 2008 Article
- From The Ground Up – Transition Space – August 22, 2008 Article
- Toronto Metro – 2004
- National Post May 1999 – Outrageous and Perverse Show- OCAD